"Water: New Policies and Technologies to Protect and Conserve a Vital Natural Resource. An American and International Perspective."
Roberta Haley Savage, President of America's Clean Water Foundation (ACWF)
Gastvortrag am 23. April 2004 im Institut Dr. Flad
in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Deutsch-Amerikanischen Zentrum, James-F.-Byrnes-Institut e.V.
Roberta "Robbi" Savage is the President and Board Chair of America's Clean Water Foundation (ACWF) .
- Organizing a celebration of our nation's precious water resources;
- Promoting education and outreach programs;
- Involving the public in the business of cleaning and protecting our nation's waters;
- Documenting the status of America's waterways; and
- Assuring national and international outreach and technical exchange.
To pay tribute to our nation's water resources and to promote awareness of water issues, Ms. Savage designed the Year of Clean Water to commemorate the signing of the Clean Water Act of 1972. These celebrations took place in 1992 and 2002 and included World and Youth Water Summits The President, the United States Congress and a majority of the nation's Governors, supported Ms. Savage's efforts by issuing proclamations in support of the Year of Clean Water.
In 2002, America's Clean Water Foundation created National Water Monitoring Day. In 2003, under Ms. Savage's guidance. National Water Monitoring Day has grown into an international activity and World Water Monitoring Day is expected to grow and expand as an annual event.
Striving to maximize the positive impact that ACWF has on water quality, Ms. Savage has charged ACWF with several key projects. Among them are the On-Farm Assessment & Environmental Review (OFAER) Project, the State/Federal Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Liaison Project, and the Source Water Protection Initiative (SWPI) Project. The OFAER Project conducts comprehensive assessments of water quality, odor, and pest risk at livestock operations. The TMDL Project provides technical assistance to State and Tribal environmental agencies as they work toward implementing TMDL programs for the water bodies for which they are responsible, and the SWPI project attempts to answer the question of whether agricultural Best Management Practices (BMP's) are having their intended impact on water quality.
In addition to her work with ACWF, Ms. Savage also serves as the Executive Director and Secretary of the Association of State and Interstate Water Pollution Control Administrators (ASIWPCA). Prior to her current positions, Ms. Savage worked for the US Environmental Protection Agency, the League of Women Voters Education Fund, and the National Association of Manufacturers.
Ms. Savage studied at the University of Utah and Harvard University. Currently, she serves as an adjunct professor at the Lyndon Baines Johnson School of Public Policy at the University of Texas.
- USEPA Management Advisory Committee
- USEPA Environmental Financing Advisory Board
- Department of Interior's Blue Ribbon Committee for Take Pride in America
- Keep America BeautifuFs National Advisory Council
- 2002 Outstanding Alumni Award from Lindbergh Middle School, Long Beach, California
- 1994: Alumni of the Year Award and the Distinguished Graduate Award from Long Beach Unified School District
- 1993: Outstanding Public Service Award from the Association of Metropolitan Sewage Agencies (AMSA)
- 1992: Keep America BeautifuFs National Advisory Council Award
- 1992: EPA's Recognition for Outstanding Accomplishment for organizing and coordinating the Year of Clean Water: The Commemoration of the 20th Anniversary of the Clean Water Act.
- 1991: Herschel C. Loveless Award for Environmental Achievement in the Public Sector from the National Environmental Development Association (NEDA)
- 1984: Outstanding Service Award from the Association of State and Interstate Water Pollution Control Administrators for the development of the States Evaluation of Progress Report.
- Ms. Savage has published her work extensively in the national and trade press, educational texts, and scientific journals.
- Ms. Savage has made numerous television appearances. Among them, she has been on the
McNeil/Lehrer Report, Capitol Journal, Washington Week, C-Span, CNN, and USIA´s International Telelink Conferences